[olug] Community Colo Project

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Thu Mar 26 22:37:33 UTC 2009

The only way I would do a white box is if it used high quality
server-grade parts - RAID controller, RAID1 drives, ECC memory,
SuperMicro motherboard, redundant power, etc.

However, I'm still not sold on the "let's replace a Cisco with a PC" idea.

There's too much stuff that can break - the general-purpose OS, a RAID
controller, drives, etc - that simply doesn't exist in a Cisco or
$ENTERPRISE_ROUTER_BRAND makes it undesirable in my eyes.

"Platform" devices simply do not need most of the hardware redundancy a
FOSS router would.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us