[olug] Server Motherboard Recomendations.

Aric aric at omahax.com
Tue Mar 24 13:00:41 UTC 2009

Dan Clough said:
"It took me a haircut, a polo, a pair of Dockers and a briefcase to even get
a tour"
..did you have to brush your teeth and change your underwear too?

I hear you though.  I got myself 12 pairs of docker mobility pants for $15
each and some Jerry Garcia ties off ebay.  I sort of think of it as the BDU
of the IT cube jockey.  I feel really uncomfortable if doing onsite server
maintenance after business hours in a T-shirt and jeans thinking it will be
quick and I am still their optimizing something when the suits get there in
the morning.  As far as haircuts I just comb my head with the #2 every
Sunday.  I guess lately I am just too cheap and practical to drive to and
sit in a barbershop every few weeks.

What did Jay have?  The archive I read said he had a Sprint T1.  What are
you going to do with a T1?  Run a dial up BBS?  Back then I was using
multiple tconl and cox cable modems and a emergency fallback to Verizon EVDO
with pfSense's load balancer.  I made myself a nice ghetto pipe.  I thought
about taking some Pringles cans and some aiming servos and hooking them to
wifi wan ports of a pfSense box and load balancing them... Just to see how
dirty I could get.

Jay seems like a cool guy, too bad I only discovered RTU during their
closing sale.  I got a nice 23" fully enclosed cabinet $70.

@Phil Brutsche
Thanks for the info on the sata flash drives, sorry I missed TFM by 2
clicks.

Jesse Regier said
"Remote Management Cards:

This would be great and I do use these in HP servers but I don't think it
will be in the budget for this project. I'll have to live with ssh over a
congested wireless ISP. (yippee)"

Yeah those cards are like minicomputers in a PCI slot and they are very
expensive that isn't what we were suggesting sorry for the confusion I was
simply stating my reference point of previous experience.