[olug] Server Motherboard Recomendations.

Jay Bendon jaybocc2 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 17:48:13 UTC 2009

@Dave Thacker <dthacker9 at cox.net>

For raid cards i have always preferred the use of Adaptec.  In my experience
they have lasted the longest and worked out of box the best.  They have some
very well performing newer ones that have 1x SAS (4channel) ports that will
take up to 4 sata drives with the proper cable, or up to 128 sata drives
with the proper backplane which is excessive obviously, you would run into
throughput issues at ~18 drives.

Look to spend $300+ for an adaptec on this level (256mb ram on the card)
with capabilities to have battery power on the raid.

@OP

Another benefit of asus motherboards, is if you step up a grade or two of
this motherboard, it comes with a slot which takes a remote managment card
(around $80~) that will allow you to do remote power on, power off, reboot
and console connections, which could be invaluable for a server like this in
such a remote location.

--Jay