[olug] Server Motherboard Recomendations.

Aric aric at omahax.com
Mon Mar 23 16:23:05 UTC 2009

I hear ya....  I'd like to try out a Areca card.

I like Xen and Xenserver.....  I'd rather develop new things and keep the
money than pay VMware.
I have been playing with Kensho.

.....They will work in desktop boards IF the PCIs slot is compliant to PCIe.
They won't work in a board where the PCIe slot is only intended for video
cards.  Get a board with an additional 4x or 8x slot.  The same applies to
3000 series chipset Xeon boards.

I haven't seen a 3000 series chipset Xeon board that supports FB-DIMMs.  I
can't think of a logical reason why they would be better than a p35 chipset
board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182124
I got it open box for $95 delivered on Friday.  It come with all the stuff
in the retail box.

It has slot A usb ports onboard for usb flash drive boot embedding.
It has a VT-d toggle in the bios that makes me want to test it out.....

It is now running 2008 server and Debian on Xenserver 5 with a 3ware 4 port
9650SE card in raid 5.

-Aric