[olug] Server Motherboard Recomendations.

Aric aric at omahax.com
Sun Mar 22 10:34:00 UTC 2009

I am a hardware geek so I tend to be a whitebox only kind of guy.

If it is going to be a Rackmount id suggest looking at some Supermicro
barebones on ebay.

I am loading Xenserver 5 on a whitebox as I type this now.  I am using a
Supermicro C2SBA+
I got it cheap from newegg openbox
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182124R
........I wanted the extra 4x pcie for a 3ware card.

I have had about 50% luck with gigabyte ga-p35-dsr3 boards as servers.

It is a VERY good idea to have registered ECC memory in a server.  In my
experience this has been the biggest difference from "Server" motherboards
and desktop systems.

I would seriously consider an Asus or Supermicro board with an intel 5000 or
better a 5400 chipset with DDR2 FB-DIMM's.

2GHz Harpertowns are only $220.... 4 cores with 12megs of cache is a serious
CPU for the $.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117151

Whatever you do burn it in and try to break first.

Aric Aasgaard