[olug] Server Motherboard Recomendations.

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 23:47:03 UTC 2009

For an off the shelf desktop board to act as a server, I've had good luck
with gigabyte boards being extremely stable for very long periods of time.
I've not had any experience with newer AMD platforms since the K7 and can't
speak for them.

Naturally try to avoid anything that has active cooling on the chipset if
it's intentions are being server based.

Also - if you're taking this board with you south america - many south
american countries have very strict computer import customs.  Make sure
whatever you bring is brand new still in shrink wrap.  I've had friends who
shipped used servers that get pounded by hammers by the customs officials
before arriving on site.

For actual servers rather than building something out of desktop parts... I
can't help much - I don't deal in brand new hardware :(

-Will