[olug] Portable HD box

Jack jdunn110 at cox.net
Thu Mar 19 17:02:18 UTC 2009

Tyro question:

	I just successfullly put together a portable hard drive box.

	Now I'm trying to figure out how to use it.  Everything I Google just
says "well, put the hardware together and plug it in, and it works."  But I
think they left out something because my USB ports don't recognize it (they
do find flashdrives without a problem).  And it is plugged in, turned on and
connected to the USB port.  I can hear the HD spin up when I turn it on.

	I have it partitioned as one big partition (320 GB) using fdisk and this is
how "fdisk -l" displays it:

Disk /dev/sdg: 320.0 GB, 320071851520 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

/dev/sdg1   *           1       38913   312568641    5  Extended

(I set it to boot, but that didn't seem to help)

	Does it need an operating system?

	Any suggestions would be appreciated.

	Jack