[olug] Proxy / Filter server for family

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Mon Mar 16 03:44:34 UTC 2009

Windows boxes: K9 Web Filter (http://www1.k9webprotection.com/). It's
browser-agnostic and doesn't rely on any web proxy configuration
settings like a lot of stuff will.

Be sure to take away local admin on those windows boxes! It's just like
giving people root on a Linux/*NIX box; if you don't anything and
everything you do will be trivially bypassed.

The big advantage of the K9 Web Filter over other freeware options is it
logs which web sites your kids visit - OpenDNS won't do that.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us