[olug] Proxy / Filter server for family

Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T dundeemt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 02:38:57 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Todd Christopher Hamilton
<netarttodd at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to utilize some proxy/filter/audit type software for to
> help my family more safely surf the net.  any suggestions?  I have a
> debian box with a couple of dozer boxes (my workstation and the family
> laptop.)  I use the debian box as a ssh server and an svn repo for
> some development work I do.
>
> --
> Todd Christopher Hamilton
> (402) 660-2787

Good luck, I don't believe such a system, that you could rely on
exists.  The only solution I have found, is that children use the
computer in a public space where it can be seen by the parents and
siblings easily.  I don't allow the kids to use winboxen, only linux
in this house.  Getting a windows box p0wn3d is a sure way to get
popups that will make you blush.  It also allows me to make sure that
logging is enabled on pidgin and I have a script that reviews the logs
for address, phone #'s, vulgarities, etc.   It also reports on
frequent glyphs or phrases.  My oldest is out of the house, and the
two youngest don't know about im'ing yet. ;)

Everyone has private passwords and I am root on every box.  Data
security is a way of life just like stranger danger.

Best of luck!

-Jeff

--
Jeff Hinrichs