[olug] OT: Used Routers

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Sun Mar 15 15:54:49 UTC 2009

That's just it, the latest gear isn't necessarily faster than the older
gear, and you can get stuff faster than an 1800 for a lot less money
than a 2800.

Examples:

The 1800 series, 3640, and 2691 are all capable of similar throughput
numbers. You can get a complete 3640 for free, and you can get a 2691
for under $200.

The 3725 is capable of 2.5x to 3x the throughput of an 1800, 3640, or
2691 and can be had for under $400.

The only downside is no integrated wireless options, but I prefer a
separate AP anyway. I highly recommend a Cisco 1231G access point ;)

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us