[olug] OT: Power Distribution

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Tue Mar 10 13:58:02 UTC 2009

> ACP is about the nicest stuff I've used.  Dell resells ACP if you have
> an in with them.

Do you mean APC (http://www.apc.com/tools/selector/pdu/)?  I've used
APC quite a bit, and really like them.  Never any problems.  BryanLGH
uses them exclusively in their server room.  You can even get PDU
models that are SNMP aware so that you can monitor their current draw
with MRTG.

> 30 amps is a ton of power.  Is that 120 or 208?

It is, but it's not ridiculous.  I installed a second 20A circuit
in my office area because my rack kept blowing the breaker whenever
I'd turn on that last machine.  Dual 20's has an advantage over a
single 30 in that I can plug both sides of my servers with redundant
PSU's into separate circuits.  I run 120 at home, but most servers
will take either.