[olug] Cricket Internet

Jon Larsen relayer at levania.org
Sun Mar 8 17:02:11 UTC 2009

Before you plug the adapter into the laptop, do a
'tail -f /var/log/messages' in a terminal to watch to see if it's
recognized.

We were testing one of the cricket adapters a week or so ago for a
co-worker's windows laptop.  We had to use the provided cricket software
in windows to setup a vpn connection for pptp, however we didn't have much
luck getting the vpn to work.

I can't remember if I plugged it into my fedora laptop or not.  However,
if it is recognized, NetworkManager should see it and allow you to
configure it.  I have tried two different verizon adapters, one pcmcia and
the other usb (black model).  Both were picked up and easily
configured with NetworkManager without a hitch.

One thing you can do with NetworkManger these days is share your
cellular internet over your wifi card, in effect creating a hotspot.

Jon L.

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009, T. J. Brumfield wrote:

> Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 20:53:57 -0600
> From: T. J. Brumfield <enderandrew at gmail.com>
> To: Omaha Linux User Group <olug at olug.org>
> Subject: [olug] Cricket Internet
>
> Has anyone here used Cricket's cellular internet on Linux?  I'm
> setting up a laptop for my sister, and she has one of Cricket's
> cellular internet adapters.  However, officially it isn't supported on
> Linux.  I was going to give her an openSUSE based laptop, but I'm not
> sure if she'll be able to get on the interwebs.
>
> To be honest, I've never used a cellular adapter in linux period.  I'm
> hoping openSUSE recognizes it.
>
> -- T. J. Brumfield
> "I'm questioning my education
> Rewind and what does it show?
> Could be, the truth it becomes you
> I'm a seed, wondering why it grows"
> -- Pearl Jam, Education

Jon H. Larsen  - relayer -at- levania -dot- org
Blog - http://levania.org/relayer/
VP of Community Development, Omaha Linux Users Group - http://www.olug.org/
AnimeSunday.org - http://www.animesunday.org/