[olug] startx / init 5 hangs, ctrl-alt Fx doesn't work

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 03:12:00 UTC 2009

I don't use Fedora, so I may be mistaken, but in Fedora 10 and later,
with Intel graphics, the video mode actually gets set by the kernel at
boot, instead of when X launches.  X looks for the Kernel Mode Setting
(KMS) and just tries to read that.  And I think Fedora 10 uses xdev
for keyboard and mouse input by default.  You may need to change that
if you're having problems.

openSUSE has a great tool called sax2 that can help reset those
settings, and rebuild a sane xorg.conf when you have those sort of
problems.  I'm not sure what Fedora has.

BTW, I *really* love openSUSE (if I don't say that enough) but I'm
considering installing the upcoming Fedora 11 beta, because it uses
ext4 by default.

-- T. J.
"I'm questioning my education
Rewind and what does it show?