[olug] Linux help

Kevin sharpestmarble at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 04:06:31 UTC 2009

Take the example of GMail: Capitalism in action(and in a good way).
When they first rolled it out, Yahoo was giving out mail accounts with
a 4 MB total mailbox size limit. Hotmail, 2MB. Then along comes GMail,
giving out an unthinkable GIGABYTE of space. Shortly afterword, Yahoo
upped their limit to 100 MB. Hotmail followed shortly afterword with
250MB. Yahoo replied back by removing the limit entirely.(I haven't
checked Hotmail again yet.)

Competition in action, and the consumer won.

I know that there were several others that did the same, giving size
limits that matched or exceeded Google's limit of the day, but they
were small companies, significantly lower in profile. Google was going
to give it to many more people than that.