[olug] Linux help

Bill Brush bbrush at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 15:25:59 UTC 2009

> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 10:09 AM, Aric Aasgaard<aric at omahax.com> wrote:
>> Sharing calendars with webdav it is simple and there really isn't that much
>> administration.  Basically you just make a couple shared logins for the
>> webdav....  I guess I just don't like using google because I don't like the
>> idea of having a search engine company that makes its money selling
>> advertisements analyzing everything my company is doing.

Well that's certainly a valid concern.  A pay hosted solution would
still remove the administrative and hardware costs.  Any time you say
"basically you just ......" you are glossing over a lot of stuff.
System support in the future is a big question mark. since this is
project for a limited duration internship.  Do they have the skills
in-house to support it once it's up and running?  If not, then who
will support it?  The intern isn't going to want to still be tied to
it in 5 or 6 years.

Technology is tough for a small business or non-profit because it
requires a lot of specialized skills and you generally don't have much
of a budget for training or hardware.

Bill