[olug] Linux help

Aric Aasgaard aric at omahax.com
Thu Jun 11 07:03:16 UTC 2009

I have been drinking a bit so if this doesn't make sense sorry.....

Sunbird is the mail only version of Thunderbird.

To share calendars basically all you need is a apache with webdav...
Make a webdav directory and publish the calendar there.

Then sunbird/mac stuff/outlook 2007 can subscribe/edit it as it is saves as
a .ics icalendar file basically the calendar file version of xml.  I use
http://phpicalendar.net/ for web display and I am sort of (half ass as time
permits) working on a mysql version to store the events.  Here is an example
of phpicalendar in a joomla wrapper
http://www.tangieronline.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=8

The best opensource stuff can get to exchange as far as mail goes is
IMAP.....  I use horde as it's web interface...
Google apps can do all this stuff for free....
It is basically the same as setting up a Linux box to do it, but google has
adds and a the can analyze your data.....