[olug] Filesystems

Chad Homan choman at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 18:24:28 UTC 2009

All,

Mystery Solved?  How to "interrogate" an ext4 file system for ext3 and ext4
files.

Here is what I have found on this topic and am looking for confirmation or
agreement
from my peers and colleagues that what I tracked down is indeed true and my
quest
for global dominance may proceed or I that I have greatly underestimated my
powers
of investigation ;).

According to my research on this matter.  Apparently the big shift for ext4
is that files
are stored in extents format.  During a conversion, "extents" is one of the
flags one
uses to "tune" the filesystem for ext4.

So looking into extents and slightly changing path on what to look for on my
filesystem.
I found reference to a chattr command.  On my ubuntu system, the man page
makes
reference to a "e" flag that cannot be changed by chattr because it is
"permanent" (for
lack of a better word) flag once set.

This led me to the lsattr command which displays the file attributes,
including the "e" flag.

So began my tests.
  - On an ext3 system, an lsattr showed pretty much no file with the "e"
flag.
  - On a freshly installed ext4 system, pretty much every file had the "e"
flag.
  - So on a freshly converted system, no file appeared to have the "e" flag.

          * I touched a file, and it showed the "e" flag.
          * I copied a file, it to had the "e" flag.
          * And for the real test, I moved a file and it maintained NO "e"
flag, thus
            still in ext3 format.

So I think this is solved.  Please help confirm this.
In the end happy converting.

Chad, CISSP
Sent from Lawndale, CA, United States
Jonathan Swift<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/jonathan_swift.html>
- "May you live every day of your life."