[olug] OT: shoot me

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Fri Jul 24 01:08:42 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 8:01 PM, Will Langford<unfies at gmail.com> wrote:
> Going through the DFS wizard on 2kas, it offers an initial two option thing
> for the DFS root... something as part of a domain with automatic replication
> stuff, and a 'standard' that doesn't use active directory for file
> replication blah blah blah.

Just a warning. . . having setup DFS and MSCS based services on
multiple variants of Windows Server, Windows 2000's support for either
was. . . well, rudimentary doesn't even begin to describe it.  A "sad
joke" would probably be fairly accurate.  It will probably cost you
more in time, effort, pain, and emotional anguish counseling than it
would to go with a newer OS release.

If it's important enough to need clustering, I'd suggest it's
important enough to look at alternative options (be it different DB,
different OS, different OS version, or different solution entirely).

Just my thoughts, having been through that pain before. ;-)

--
Christopher