[olug] Exporting and NFS mount from AIX to RHEL

Kevin D. Snodgrass kdsnodgrass at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 15 17:46:16 UTC 2009

--- On Wed, 7/15/09, dthacker9 at cox.net <dthacker9 at cox.net> wrote:
> I need to export a filesystem from
> AIX 5.3 to RHEL 5.   I've added the
> directory to the export list in AIX. Then attempted to
> mount with this
> command:
> [root at ebz951-01prd /]# mount -t nfs 10.65.84.11:/software
> /ebiztar
> mount: 10.65.84.11:/software failed, reason given by
> server: unknown nfs
> status return value: -1

Two things:

1)  Can you nfsmount this or any other directory from another machine?  I.e., do you have everything set up correctly to export a filesystem from the AIX box.

2)  On Linux you have to run:
# exportfs -a

That will update the kernels export tables with what is in /etc/exports.  You will probably have to do the same thing with AIX, but it may be a different command.  $man exportfs may be useful...

Kevin D. Snodgrass