[olug] OT wireless stuff

James Ringler jringler at plainspower.com
Thu Jan 29 22:21:50 UTC 2009

There recently was a wireless provider from Staplehurst who was arrested
for cloning a mac of a radio of a neighboring provider (STE Wireless)
and routed all of their customers through the competition's network
without paying for usage.

STE wasn't smart enough to figure it out on their own until a friend of
mine who runs Blue Sky Wireless was asked to sell bandwidth to STE.
Then he discovered the backhaul and asked what's the deal..

They then realized that maybe this is why they had so many problems.
And called the authorities.