[olug] mythtv parts ordered

Jordan Fox vmifox at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 15:41:34 UTC 2009

I just set up MythTv last weekend.  I did it 2.5 years ago with gentoo, but
then canceled cable 2 years ago.  I got cable again so...  Anyway, I went
with Mythbuntu this time.  A whole lot less work!  My computer is very
decidedly underpowered, but everything seems to work fine - although I
haven't tried using mythtranscode yet.  Athlon XP 2000+, Nvidia GeForce4 Ti
4200, 512MB pc2100 RAM.  yes, you read that right.  I do have a Hauppage pvr
350, which unlike the 150 has both an encoder and a decoder for mpeg 2.
However, the newer software breaks compatibility with the decoder, so I
can't use it right now :( so I use a lot of cpu to watch tv or play back
recordings.  This caused a lot of my frustration, because I checked to
setting to use the decoder and it took me a while to discover that was my
problem.  I'm also just watching on my computer monitor and not a tv.

A few notes...
-When choosing a default directory for your recordings and livetv, check the
permissions on the folder (this is the problem I spent the most time
finding).  You'll want that directory to be owned by the MythTv group -
you'll also want your primary user to be a member of that group.  Chances
are you'll put it somewhere in your home folder, which means it won't be in
the mythtv group.
-Cox Cable is not of type us-cable in the mythbackend setup.  It is of type
us-cable-hir (or something like that, I can't remember exactly, bit it is
xir - where I believe the x is an h, it could be a p though).
-When configuring SchedulesDirect, after creating your account you need to
log back in and select your tv viewing area via zip code, then select your
cable/satellite provider.  It won't say much about this when you activate
your account.  Do this BEFORE getting too deep in the myth setup.  This
wasted a good 30+ minutes on my part.  When you try to get the listings in
mythbackend, it won't work if properly set up, but you'll get no error to
tell you this is the problem.

With those errors out of the way, you *should* be able to set up mythbuntu
in a couple hours, as long as your hardware is supported.  It took me a bit
longer than that - maybe 8 hours.  But, last time around it took me a whole
weekend and pretty much just setting up mythtv.  Of course, that was gentoo,
and that was also before a lot this automatic configuration stuff in mythtv.

Good Luck, I'm here if you have any questions, I'll help where I can.

Jordan