[olug] Good inexpensive minimum 2-port router.

Steven Susbauer steven at too1337.com
Mon Feb 9 07:10:56 UTC 2009

Amy Mason wrote:
> Thank you to everybody for all the suggestions, and the offers.  I think I
> better do a little more checking of my system before I jump on buying, or
> receiving replacement equipment.  Sorry I didn't get back to the thread
> sooner, I was away most of the weekend.  I think its the D-link because of
> the nature of several of the problems, but I'm going to try a few more tests
> before I commit to a different solution.. If I'm lucky its something
> cheaper.
>
> If anyone is curious, the problem is that my connection will randomly drop
> and the Windows computer will claim that a cable is unplugged. Usually, two
> or three minutes later everything picks back up like nothing happens.  I
> haven't been able to check the Linux machine's log files yet to see if the
> problem is localized to the Windows machine or not.
>
> The other problem was related to that Linksys Skype phone. It refused to
> stay connected even though connections seemed good with the D-link as I
> could access the firmware through the browser without too much difficulty.
>
> Finally, the major problem with the D-link was that someone was piggybacking
> off of my wireless connection, (apparently) as we saw an extra Mac Address
> connected to my router, even though the wireless was turned off.  So that
> was my reasoning for looking for new hardware.  Since I no longer have the
> neighbor fiddling with my "non-functional" wireless  I decided to wait and
> see with these other two problems. I was mostly looking for opinions for
> when I get a little extra cash.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Amy

I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, as I've been migrating email
accounts, but the Linksys WRT54GL works quite well with Windows and
Linux, also there are many open source firmware replacements which add a
lot of customization and advanced features to the relatively inexpensive
box. I am pretty fond of the Tomato firmware at the moment, an overview
and screenshots can be seen at http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato.