[olug] OT: I'm moving

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 00:14:56 UTC 2009

Omaha was just ranked #1 in the country for "bang for the buck". A
friend of mine kept insisting she'd make more money in California. So
we went to a website where you put in your industry, your current zip
code, and the new zip code. It showed if you would make more or less
based on average salary per industry for both zip codes, and also
adjusted for cost of living.

Every city she named, she made less money overall with cost of living
adjusted. She moved to San Jose anyway, and spent the next 18 months
unemployed the economy there absolutely imploded.

I do wish you luck with your new job, but understand, Omaha really is
a good place to be right now.

Google is hiring, Yahoo should be soon, and Microsoft is also opening
shop in Des Moines. A recruiter keeps trying to get me to move there.
PayPal approved in their budget to add 10 more full-time system
engineers in 2010.

-- T. J.