[olug] DD-WRT Router Suggestions?

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 23:51:49 UTC 2009

I bought a high-end router a year ago, but I'm not 100% happy with it.
My internet connection is still slow. Cox refuses to talk to me about
performance since a router is involved, and they won't come out to the
house to check the signal, even though pages time out all the time.
They insist I need to defrag my hard drive.

Even though I assume the issue is really on Cox's part, and I've shown
I still have trouble with pages timing out when not connected to the
router, I wouldn't mind trying to get a better router to get the best
possible performance I can get given the circumstances.

I purchased a DIR-655, which got rave reviews, is supposed to have a
fast processor and do decent QOS, has 4 LAN gigabit ports, and does
802.11n wireless.

The question is, can I find an equivalent or better router that
supports a Linux firmware (like DD-WRT?)

Ideally, I want something with at least 32 megs of RAM for processing,
and at least 8 megs of RAM for flash storage. The newest releases of
DD-WRT are getting larger than 4 megs. It would have gigabit ports,
and 802.11n support.

Does anyone know of such a router?

-- T. J. Brumfield