[olug] OT: Computer Service

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 05:10:25 UTC 2009

It looks like Daniel already volunteered. However, push come to shove,
I can as well if need be.

I generally charge a flat rate of $50 to clear all spyware, viruses,
infections, etc. and then secure the PC so hopefully they won't get
any in the future. More often than not, I spend more time doing so
than is really profitable to do so, but I enjoy helping people out.
Surfing the web with an infected or unprotected PC is never good. If I
know the person, I often use these very specific situations to
recommend Linux. I generally offer to do a free Linux install, and ask
the user to try it for a month. If they insist on going back to
Windows, I'll format the PC and reinstall Windows.

No one has ever demanded to go back to Windows.

Also, as a general rule of thumb, I've actually gotten to recommending
Microsoft Security Essentials to anyone with XP, Vista or 7 lately. It
has a very small memory footprint, and a good detection engine. It is
also completely free. Not too shabby.

-- T. J.