[olug] need some quick help with sed

Kevin D. Snodgrass kdsnodgrass at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 19 07:22:54 UTC 2009

--- On Fri, 12/18/09, Matthew G. Marsh <olug4mgm at paktronix.com> wrote:

> From: Matthew G. Marsh <olug4mgm at paktronix.com>
> Subject: Re: [olug] need some quick help with sed
> To: "Omaha Linux User Group" <olug at olug.org>
> Date: Friday, December 18, 2009, 11:08 AM
> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, Kevin D.
> Snodgrass wrote:
>
> <snip>real reason for post</snip>
>
> > I know there is a better way... sed is a wonderful
> tool, wish I could
> > remember more of what it can do.  But all the
> useful docs seem to be in
> > "info" format nowdays, which I despise at a level most
> people cannot
> > understand.  (info sucks big donkey
> *&^$@!!!)
>
> Hallelujiah!!!!!   I have converted more
> info files into man, html, etc
> than I can remember. Info is another GNU scourge (do it our
> way or the
> highway thinking).

OK, how do I convert from the vile info format to something mildly useful, like a man page or html?

> Now before the wee little flamies fire up - GNU software is

emacs sucks big donkey (^&(^&! vi rulz!

:-)

> very good, GNU
> attitude as exemplified by the utter lack of consideration
> for any other
> way than that of the GNU, oft succinctly stated as
> fanaticism, is bad, and
> one of the reasons OSS often has/had difficulty in
> acceptance.

It is quite irratating that GNU/RMS insist on info only for useful docs.  Where is my freedom?  I like man pages.  Properly written, man pages are the easiest way to get useful information quickly.

> "better" man) and realize that the info reader is not a
> little program but
> a version of emacs (which is near and dear to me but that

emacs is for LISP lovers!  vi rulz!!

:-)

> Of course I do fantasize about putting Theo and RMS in a
> deathmatch
> cage and watching the fireworks... but I digress.

hehehe...

Kevin D. Snodgrass