[olug] need some quick help with sed

Matthew G. Marsh olug4mgm at paktronix.com
Fri Dec 18 17:08:49 UTC 2009

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, Kevin D. Snodgrass wrote:

<snip>real reason for post</snip>

> I know there is a better way... sed is a wonderful tool, wish I could
> remember more of what it can do.  But all the useful docs seem to be in
> "info" format nowdays, which I despise at a level most people cannot
> understand.  (info sucks big donkey *&^$@!!!)

Hallelujiah!!!!!   I have converted more info files into man, html, etc
than I can remember. Info is another GNU scourge (do it our way or the
highway thinking).

Now before the wee little flamies fire up - GNU software is very good, GNU
attitude as exemplified by the utter lack of consideration for any other
way than that of the GNU, oft succinctly stated as fanaticism, is bad, and
one of the reasons OSS often has/had difficulty in acceptance.

For a solid grounding in GNU attitude just read the intro to info (a
"better" man) and realize that the info reader is not a little program but
a version of emacs (which is near and dear to me but that is a different
flame war) and then read a man page for a utility where the main text is a
printout of utility -h followed by the smarmy "the real doc is in info"
line. Of course this does presume that you use a command line. If you only
use X then ignore this discussion and go back to your windows^WX
session WWW browser and just dig up the formatted 'html from info' page in
goog...

Of course I do fantasize about putting Theo and RMS in a deathmatch
cage and watching the fireworks... but I digress.

> zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
>
> Kevin D. Snodgrass

Matthew G. Marsh
Special Email Addr for OLUG ;-}