[olug] Splunk and log scraping

Irish irish.masms at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 22:41:18 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Kevin <sharpestmarble at gmail.com> wrote:

> From what I remember, Splunk does log mining. "Look at your logs, what
> is there interesting?" I haven't used it, though, and all that is
> coming just from a combination of the ads I saw and what does an app
> like that do.
>
> I don't know what TJ's research has turned up, nor do I know what he's
> trying to accomplish.

I've been using Slunk for about 1.5 years now - not a bad tool for log
management IMHO. Point all your systems logs to the Splunk server, get a
'google like' interface to those logs. Good for giving access to those
network, desktop, & server admins to help troubleshoot issues - and look for
the miscreants on your network.