[olug] Network Speeds

Dave Rowe dave at roweware.com
Wed Dec 16 21:56:53 UTC 2009

Okay, I need a little schooling here.  Googling for network tweaks brings
articles from the early 2000's, so things have (probably) changed.

I have 2 linux boxes, sitting on the same switch (100Mbps).  Transferring a
large (50MB) file between the 2 via SSH seems to run abnormally slow for
being on the same switch.  With a couple tests, I seem to be getting 2MB/s
(big B).  Which, while _okay_, its not a huge deal, but seems slow.

Box A - Debian 5.0 - 2.6.26-2-amd64
Box B - ArchLinux - 2.6.31

Would hard-disk speed be a significant factor here?  Both are SATA

Any ideas?

-Dave