[olug] Installing multiple linux distros...

adunlop techworld.mail at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 21:47:41 UTC 2009

> That being said, I think we're digressing here. I was just trying to
> express that installing something that is already old the day you
> install it doesn't make your system more stable. I don't understand
> the mentality that old equates to stable, since it likely has bugs
> that the new version fixes. But again, to each their own.

Makes sense to me.  When a new version is out, the bleeding-edge
distros run it, log all of their bugs, bug fixes are applied and
eventually enough are worked out that it's considered stable.  Once
it's stable, server distros pick it up and add it to their distro.
There shouldn't be patches necessary for bugs at that point.  As far
as the newer features in newer software go, you're free to install
whatever you want.

The only thing age has to do with it is the number of testing-hours
that's in before it's ready for production use.

Aaron