[olug] Looking for pre-built Linux desktops

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Tue Aug 4 05:07:10 UTC 2009

Joe Gulizia wrote:
> Boss was talking moving me to Windows....cheaper, easier to find machines.  Standardization  BS.

The hardware standardization argument is huge, don't underestimate it.

If you can't find a modern machine that will run Linux out of the box
you're looking at the wrong hardware or the wrong hardware vendor.

I could walk up to a OptiPlex 760 at work and every single bit of
hardware in it will Just Work with the latest CentOS or Ubuntu or ...

It helps quite a bit that Dell officially support RHEL5 on their Dell
Precisions, and oh, wait, guess what else uses the same video, audio,
ethernet, etc as the Precisions? OptiPlexes!

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us