[olug] hard drive question

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 22:18:00 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 5:10 PM, Kelly Williams<kellywilliams81 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was at my local college I plugged in my external hd its maxtor one
> touch 120 in there computer it allows me to view files but it will not
> let me copy to the hard drive. I tried another computer on there network
> and still blocks the drive from being written to. but when I use my
> computer at home I have full control of the drive. In the past i have
> been known to download a lot of stuff off the internet and i would use
> that drive to save all that stuff. I was all opensource software. but
> the network admin is anti opensource everything is Windows on there
> network. i'm wondering if they have it that my profile is setup to not
> except that drive. But I can use my flashdrives. I just looking for some
> ideas what it could be.
> Thanks,
> Kelly Williams

This may go against their rules, but the idea of a university is to be
open and inclusive.  Boot their PC up with a Linux LiveCD and copy
what you want to a temp folder, then reboot into windows to copy to a
network share.  Let us know if they block particular drives.  Could
the external drive have a virus?