[olug] linux questions

ProwL prowl at darkscience.org
Sun Aug 2 15:58:43 UTC 2009

On 08/02/2009 04:00 AM, DYNATRON tech wrote:
> i've heard of people having trouble with DVD playback in ubuntu, but it
> works fine for me.
> after installing (and doing updates), your totem player will need to grab
> codecs, but it does it on the fly with an internet connection.

I've ran into a few issues with ubuntu dvd playback on previous
versions, ~8.10. I was helping a friend setup for restricted formats and
after installation of packages, he began to receive I/O errors when
trying to playback DVDs, a jump in cpu, and or jerky playback.

After some diagnosis, it appeared that those mentioned versions of
ubuntu had issues with detecting and loading modules for the drive.

The results of the bug would cause the drive to appear to work, but
would always have problems when it tried to spin up, eventually
resulting in I/O errors.

is a solution /related/ to how we fixed the problem.

I have not seen this replicated in ~9.x strains of ubuntu.

Cheers.