[olug] Virtualization Questions

Adam Lassek adam at doubleprime.net
Sat Aug 1 03:22:30 UTC 2009

VirtualBox is by far the best free option. VMWare Server works, but it's a
pain to use. It's not meant for workstation-type use. You have to use a
browser plugin to open the console, and there is not very good desktop
integration. With VBox, it actually supports seamless mode in linux. I've
used this as a development environment for more than a year with great
success.

You're missing the kernel drivers package, it should be called
virtualbox-ose-modules-2.6.xx-xx-generic or something like that. In fact I
would recommend removing that version and downloading the latest package
from virtualbox.org instead. They provide .debs for Ubuntu and it should
include the driver.