[olug] "I remember when..."

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Tue Apr 28 22:47:36 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 3:10 PM, T. J. Brumfield <enderandrew at gmail.com> wrote:
> Again I want to throw out there and ask, is there any interest in all
> this nostalgia perhaps to put together an olug-community-run Linux
> based telnet BBS?
>
> Synchronet (www.synchro.net) runs great on Linux and is free.

Citadel[0] is cool, free, and *nix based, also.  Although you can't
really call it a BBS anymore, or at least not *just* a BBS.  It
started an old-school BBS system and has grown into an interesting
Groupware/BBS system now.  Interesting project.  More information is
available at the Wikipedia page[1,2].

There are a couple of long-running BBS's still running on it, too,
including the "Uncensored!" BBS[3], hosted by them.  Anyone wanting to
check it out can connect to Uncensored! via telnet.

> -- T. J.

  [0] http://www.citadel.org
  [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citadel_(software)
  [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citadel/UX