[olug] "I remember when..."

Bill Brush bbrush at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 19:52:44 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 1:59 PM, Dan Linder <dan at linder.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 11:15, John Hobbs <john at velvetcache.org> wrote:
>> I'm in the younger crowd I guess.  First computer was a clunky green Acer
>> Aspire with Win 95.  They had an "even friendlier" interface that sat on
>> top
>> of the win 95 desktop and sloooowed everything down. I didn't love it so, I
>> don't really remember it :-)
>>
>> - John Hobbs
>

> You mean "MS-Bob"?

No, Bob was the 3.1 days, IIRC.  I think what he's talking to was
Acer's "custom" UI for Windows back around 95-96.  My gf, now wife,
bought one and it SUCKED.  OMG it was horrible.

My first computer that I worked with was an IBM PC, then the XT, PC
jr, then the PC "portable."  My Mom quit the job where they had those,
and bought a Panasonic Sr. Partner because it had a 20 MB HD and the
PC's were only 10 at the time.  That old tank lasted me a good 8-9
years.  I think it got "borrowed" from my Mom and never returned.  Ah
well, it probably still works for someone.  Those old TTL chips were
nothing if not sturdy.

http://www.vintage-computer.com/panasonicsr.shtml

Bill