[olug] Trying to connect a Garmin Legend to an eeePC

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Sun Apr 26 14:42:52 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 00:17, Paul H. Lewis <phldml3 at cox.net> wrote:

> and have had no luck getting the eeePC to recognize the Garmin Legend
> and now my eeePC will not automatically connect to my  wireless network
> anymore.  I have to manual connect to the network and it takes the PC a
> few minutes to accomplish the task.  I think the problem with the
> network may lie in the replacement usbserial.ko file that I have
> replace, but I'm not exactly sure how that could be.  Can someone advise?

The .ko files are "kernel object" files (if I remember the acronym/extension
correctly).  I would assume that the network card is also using the USB
drivers even if it is internal to the system.  So, changing the
"usbserial.ko" with a non-standard version might have introduced an
incompatible version...

I don't know about the process to restore the eeePC back, but if it was just
the usbserial.ko file that was changed, you could copy it back from another
eeePC or the install media, reboot, and the network connection should work
again.

Does the eeePC have bluetooth?  You might have better luck looking at one of
the bluethooth enabled GPS devices and connect that way.

Dan

---
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who can watch the watchmen?) -- from the
Satires of Juvenal
"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov (Author)