[olug] Happy Jaunty Day!

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 18:19:47 UTC 2009

If I had to make a guess about your wireless, it is because you have
an Atheros chipset. Madwifi was nice, but not included by default by
many distros because of the inclusion of proprietary dependencies.
Eventually ath5k started development, which was in the main kernel,
and fully OSS.  But it took a long while for ath5k to catch up with
madwifi.  While that switch has been going on, it somewhat slowed down
wireless development, which honestly has been a weak spot in Linux
hardware support.

The newer Linux kernels have a fine ath5k driver with great support
for most Atheros-based chips.  The default kernel installed with
openSUSE 11.1 doesn't work for some, but updating to a newer kernel
usually solves most wireless problems I've seen lately.  I'm guessing
Jaunty is shipping with a 2.6.29 based kernel, which is probably why
your wireless works now.