[olug] Browser Benchmarking

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 17:46:22 UTC 2009

My only beef with Chrome is that a group of Windows developers who
know nothing of cross-platform programming made it very Windows
centric, which makes porting it hard, and now completely seperate Mac
and Linux teams are working on ports while the Windows version is
still under heavy development.

And the Linux version is going to use GTK.  GTK is why Firefox on
Linux is so slow and cumbersome, and has absolutely terrible file
dialogs.

The Linux Chromium team said that GTK was the official toolkit of
Linux.  Sheesh.

If it had been developed on Qt from day one (Qt has native bindings to
Webkit!  It makes incredible sense!) then it would have been
multiplatform from day one.  And we'd be running it on Mac and Linux
today.  It would be faster than the GTK version they are making, and
the code would be easier to maintain than three seperate platform
forks in the future.

This was an amazingly poor decision making process on the part of Google.

I never intend to use the browser.  I hope some of the sandboxing
concepts get applied to other browsers.

-- T. J.