[olug] Drive wipe tool

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 01:22:15 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 9:11 AM, Jay Swackhamer <Jay at reboottheuser.com>wrote:

> If you want to be sure your data is unreadable, then I'd use either
> one of these:

http://www.geekologie.com/2008/05/hard_drive_crusher_looks_like.php

Useless, a decent costly recovery service could still get the data.

> This method
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0x6gkZmqcc&feature=player_embedded

A mossy would probably do well.  I've not see how tight the grouping on my
18.5" mossy is from a given distance yet though :).

or some thermite as in this example
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-ckechIqW0&feature=player_embedded

Much preferred.

----

Of course, being geeky -- uhhh -- build a simple large electromagnet
randomly pass it over drive, swap polarity, repeat.  Or grab a large speaker
magnet from an old sub woofer and swish it around the drive etc :).

----

In the interest of recycling, I'd suggest Active Killdisk as others have
prior.  Anything floppy bootable also means you can quickly setup a PXE
workstation for it too :)

-Will