[olug] OT: Virtualization - Server Spec's

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Wed Apr 8 19:22:51 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Curtis LaMasters
<curtislamasters at gmail.com> wrote:
> SSD Video was neat.  Awesome numbers.  What is everyone's
> favorite/best virtualization server.  I.E. Charles mentioned that the
> 1950's are limited by the disk/bus combo...what hardware has been
> kicking butt for you.
>
> Anyone have experience with the Dell R series?

At my previous job, we made pretty heavy use of Dell 2950's for
virtualization.  Typical main specs for our virtual monster boxes:

2 x Quad Core CPU's
32GB of RAM
8 x 2.5" 73GB 15k SAS disks

We would typically set up the disks in 4 separate RAID1 sets, to
reduce the impact of excessive disk activity from one VM to the rest
of the VMs.

We had very good experiences with these boxes.

--
Christopher