[olug] [OT] IT degrees

Sam Tetherow tetherow at shwisp.net
Wed Apr 8 09:27:28 UTC 2009

Someone had asked earlier (sorry been hectic and didn't save the email)
what class(es) I would recommend.  It has been 15 years since I got my
degree so I'm sure it has all changed, but when I was there the two that
stuck out were Graphics (476?) and Network Operating Systems (452?).  It
wasn't the subjects of these two classes but that the assignments gave
me a taste for working on real problems.  Graphics was about evolving
requirements but I know that they changed it shortly after I took the
class.  NOS was about working on a longer term project with a team.

Really though for me it was the atmosphere, the people I met and hung
out with and the environment.  This tied in with the classes really made
a difference for me.  Would it for others?  Not sure, but I know I would
never have met the people, had the opportunities (ACM programming
contest, job, late nights in the lab) if I had not went to the
university.  While the classes did teach me theory I don't think I would
have gotten from certs or assoc degree, the environment is what made me
a much better programmer.  I would say computer scientist but I have
never considered myself one after listening to Juris Hartmanis and
Richard Stearns accept the ACM Turning award in '93.

    Sam Tetherow
    Sandhills Wireless