[olug] OT (Cox Modem)

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 22:58:10 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 8:37 PM, Jack <jdunn110 at cox.net> wrote:
> My modem is a Motorola Surfboard SB3100.
>
> I have the high-speed tier and commonly get 500-700 Mb/sec download, which is OK by me.  I only have high-speed for the occasional CD/DVD download of some flavor of Linux.  HULU loads right away, though I don't really watch it.  I just called up The Daily Show to check it.
>
> I'm not sure what porting the modem to Linux means.
>
> I was wondering why they were so eager to get me into a new modem.  I guess it makes sense that the new modems have more bells and whistles that can be more easily controlled by the ISP.  I just don't see how that benefits me.
>
> Maybe I'll call them and find out if they can cut me off it I don't accept the new modem.
>
>        Jack

i had a sb3100.  a couple of years ago they told me i needed to get a
new one even though it worked just fine.  i refused and they relented.
 i would have been much much happier if they had collected the old
cable modems to be reused for nonprofits, cox connects kids,
_Computers4Africa_ .... something.  Worked perfectly well, but when a
fairly new modem became available at work, i exchanged it out.