[olug] [OT] IT degrees

Brady Cox brady.cox at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 15:28:26 UTC 2009

So this thread shows that everyone has a different opinion.  Here's my
several cents...

As someone who does interviews, yeah I look at the resume.  When I
look at education, I generally look for coursework and try to see what
the individual tried to get out of the education experience, then I
will ask questions about that.

As someone who went to a crappy school, when I see that on the resume
I have my doubts.  I picked my school because it was Linux heavy and
generally when I could pick between doing an easy assignment doing
Windows stuff, I'd ask if I could do the Linux equivalent instead.  My
reasoning was that I was paying a lot of money to have access to that
lab, so why should I waste my time working with software that I didn't
want to work with when I got out of school?  That attitude is what got
me my current job, not the degree.  In fact I got hired about 6 months
before I graduated (yes, I did actually finish).  I'd say that out of
all the classmates I had at that crappy tech school (Westwood, if
you're curious) I'd only recommend hiring about 4 of them.

I guess the main question is What do you want to achieve?  The lamest
question ever follows: Where do you want to be in five years?

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 7:17 PM, Aric <aric at omahax.com> wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQMbXvn2RNI

If you've received this email, congratulations you just won a gold
star!  Please make one and present it to yourself.  If you've received
this message in error please ignore all the content including the
above award, but you still must comply with the next part.  You are
now required to send me the sum of Twenty Dollars in U.S. Currency (I
will also accept Euros) for the entertainment value of the above email
from me you have just read.  The legal obligations set forth in this
email signature are subject to change due to the whims of the author
of this email and may change at any time.  Complaints may be kept to
yourself.  To unsubscribe, please visit the subscription page and
subscribe first.  Since no such subscription exists, you cannot
unsubscribe and by trying to, you are a silly person.  All Sales
Final.  Management reserves the right to refuse service to anyone for
any reason.  No shirt, no shoes, no service.  Objects may be larger
than they appear.  Caution - May Contain Peanuts.