[olug] [OT] IT degrees

Jason Zeisler superztnt at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 23:18:20 UTC 2009

Wow! I didn't think I would get such great insight and valuable opinions.

So to give y'all a little background, I already have an associates in
computer programming from a community college and a BS in business
administration from Bellevue. The thing is that I want to go back to school
for some of that higher level knowledge that I didn't learn at the community
college. Obi-Wan was right, they only realy teach you the syntax of the
languages. If I can avoid COBOL for the rest of my life I will be a happy
man. The other part is when I look at job openings, most of them require a
degree in CS, MIS, or Software Engineering. When looking at my location,
Sioux City Iowa, there are very limited options for a degree like these. So
when I saw an opportunity to get a CS degree online through Regis
University. My thoughts were I could get the degree that a lot of jobs ask
for, I will gain more knowledge, and I could get out of Sioux City. Maybe I
am wasting my time going back to school and I already have enough of an
educational background to get a job as a programmer. I don't know and that
is why I wanted to ask some people that are experienced or involved some how
in hiring.

Jason Z.