[olug] [OT] IT degrees

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Fri Apr 3 12:22:04 UTC 2009

On Apr 2, 2009, at 11:21 PM, Obi-Wan wrote:
> A couple community college classes that teach you the syntax of
> C++ or Java do you no good when you have to wrangle 3,000,000 lines of
> source code for an engineering application.  I've been in that
> situation
> at two separate jobs, and I've seen people succeed and fail.

What classes that either of you took were relevant to large-scale
programming skills?

Sure, to become the supreme dictator of a 3M line engineering
application it would behoove you to understand everything about the
math and physics of engineering. Otherwise you're (probably) less
able to improve the key pillars of the application fundamentally. But
surely you could be one of that dudes minions without knowing the
advanced math?

But after 15 years of wrangling .5M line balls of mud for companies
not rooted in advanced math I'm looking at the CS coursework
offerings at UNO after 1620 (C++) and I don't see anything that
addresses higher-order organization strategies for large-scale
software systems.

What classes are relevant? I'd like to take those. (But they won't
take my money since I don't have the Calc pre-reqs. -laugh-)

I don't see how the CS program helps much past the basics if your job
will be to pound out non-scientific source code for a living.

I've been told degrees are required by many/most companies. But when
hiring code monkeys* I can't figure out how that's anything other
than politics. I'd take a history of open source patches as better
evidence of skill than a UNO CS BS.

Just Another self-taught Perl Hacker

* Like me! Code monkey pride!