[olug] [OT] IT degrees

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 02:03:28 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Amy Mason <amason80 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Have to say this discussion is catching my eye as well. I am in school at
> SCC for a networking degree, though I already have a non-tech bachelor's
> elsewhere.  I know I am going to need certification, but I'm not sure which
> will be most important.  After A+ and Net+ what else is going to help
> someone get into the tech job market.  I really want a job after all this
> nonsense.

A+ is... kinda... meh from my understanding.  In the network certs they
might carry more weight than the coding ones.

Cisco cert is good, but prolly expensive.... and probably many options to
choose from.

Similar with a redhat cert prolly not a bad idea but might be $$$ ?

If you can get involved with the colo in other thread or similar other
stuff, it'd prolly help to have other world experience going on.

There's also fun to be said for a $80/year vps to play around on :)

-Will