[olug] [OT] IT degrees

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Thu Apr 2 22:14:03 UTC 2009

If you're gonna be a programmer (C, C#, C++, Java, whatever) then a CS
degree is a must-have.

For general sysadmin work - regardless of OS - I say a CS degree won't
help you over someone who has (say) Math, History, English,
Communications, whatever as a degree. None of those has any bearing on
your skill with a Cisco router or a web server of some kind. Experience
and the certification tracks are far more important.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us