[olug] Community Colo Project

Dave Rowe dave at roweware.com
Thu Apr 2 19:21:15 UTC 2009

Phil Brutsche wrote:
> People should be allowed to bring in anything they want (given
> reasonable hardware constraints - ie 4U or smaller rackmount) as long as
> they maintain their machine(s) properly and bay their bill.
>
> I'm just making sure people are performing reality checks, we shouldn't
> be getting any grandiose ideas and ordering a 50Mbps line under the
> assumption that there will be that many "clients".
>
> Dan Clough wrote:
>> Well, that's just it.  Hopefully it won't just be us, hopefully we
>> can get people who want colocation or even local web hosting but
>> can't find it... Even if it means inviting the WUG in... ;)
>>
>> We want enough capacity for us to fill and for any other "clients"
>> we'll hopefully bring on board.  20Meg should be fine.

With that in mind, does someone who has an idea (ballpark is even
valuable) as to what the monthly cost (+ setup? ie, to help cover the
Cogent installation?) per U is?  Then, people who might use it can
evaluate (reply to the list) with what they'd want (no obligation).
Then, you'd have a better idea of how big the client base is, and what
the estimated usage would be.

I've throughly enjoyed following this, and see myself as a potential
'client' of this, but without knowing the monthly cost, I'm not fully
'sold' on it.