[olug] A tale from the sticks...

Carl Lundstedt clundst at unlserve.unl.edu
Thu Apr 2 13:45:38 UTC 2009

Hey all,
I journeyed back to my hometown last weekend in outstate.  When ever I
go out there I assume that no one within 50 miles has any idea what
Linux is if they didn't hear it from me.

While trying to help my cousin, who is setting up a new grocery store, I
noticed an "OpenSuse" iso icon on his XP desktop.  I asked his "IT" guy
about it.  He says "Oh, that.  The machine isn't running linux, we just
booted that up to handle some hard drive problems".

I saw that as a huge win.  Most people use the 'grandma' metric for an
OSes success.  I now have the 'hick' test.  If the 'hicks' from my neck
of the woods are aware of Linux and find it useful (even if the software
vendor demands windows for their inventory software) it's progress.

Carl Lundstedt
UNL